Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
In order to make your next visit to our office as comfortable and easy for you as possible, we are providing you with this list of reminders.
- DO NOT EAT or DRINK ANYTHING (not even water) after midnight the evening prior to your surgery. Prescribed medications, however, may be taken with small sips of water.
- You MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult who MUST stay with you, in the office, during surgery. A responsible adult must stay with you the rest of the day and is able to drive you home following surgery, and be with you for the remainder of the day. A parent or legal guardian must accompany minors.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting, short -sleeved clothing. Do not wear jewelry. Do not wear contact lenses. Do not wear nail polish.
- Call our office if you develop a cold or cough.
- A minimum of 48 hours notice must be given prior to surgery or a cancellation fee will be charged.
Failure to comply with any of these instructions could result in a delay of your surgery.
Patients Receiving Intravenous Sedation
Following intravenous sedation or general anaesthesia, it takes a considerable period of time for the full effects of the drugs to subside.
- You MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult who MUST stay with you in the office during surgery and, who may either drive you home by car or take you home by taxi, but not by public transportation. A responsible adult must stay with you the rest of the day.
- You MUST remain resting at home for the remainder of the day.
- You MUST, if you feel dizzy, immediately lie flat until the dizziness is gone.
- You MUST NOT leave your home on the evening of your surgery.
- You MUST NOT consume alcohol for 48 hours.
- You MUST NOT operate motor vehicles, power tools, firearms, or machinery for 24 hours.
- You MUST NOT operate or be responsible for any aircraft for 14 days.
- You MUST NOT sign or enter into any legal contract for 48 hours.